Here are a few tips to help make your sex life a little greener:
1. Turn out the lights. Even if you don’t have a romantic partner to share the night with, turn the lights out, light a few soy candles and treat yourself to a nice candle-lit meal followed by an extended session of naked play. I’m quite sure that you’ll find it quite…energizing . ^_~
2. On that note, now that the weather is finally getting warmer for my fellow Canadians, many of us are starting to think about getting our air-conditioners out of storage. Rather than turning up your air-conditioner (you really shouldn’t turn it lower than 25*C anyway), turn it off and take this opportunity to wear less around the house. Then set up a fan and see if you can really generate some heat with a partner or a favourite toy. To me, it’s more exciting when you can get sweaty; besides, air conditioners can dry up a woman’s natural lube.
3. Speaking of lube, you might want to consider switching to a more ecologically friendly lube, there’s lots out there.
4. Many of us could also stand to be more ecologically friendly with our toys. Do a quick search in your area to find out where you can recycle your spent batteries, opt to use rechargeables, or try a toy that charges from an outlet.
5. When the motor in your vibrating toys does finally give out, don’t forget to drop it in the recycling bin if it’s mostly made out of plastic. If you live in the UK, do take advantage of LoveHoney’s rabbit amnesty program. Those of us in North America can use THIS sex toy recycling program.
6. While you’re at it, maybe you’ll want to check out getting yourself some more sustainable sex toys as replacements. Glass toys are better for you AND for the environment because their production is relatively non-toxic AND they are fully recyclable. A properly made wood toy made from sustainable organic wood might also be a good idea because it’s not going to leak any toxic phthalates and is biodegradable. You could even try using a metal toy! [P.S. if you already have a toy made from jelly plastic or pvc plastic, always use a condom when you play with it, this will help protect you from the chemicals used to make it squishy.]
7. Of course, instead of worrying about where to recycle your toys when they break down, you could just try to repair them yourself.
8. You can also find ways to use items in your house as sex toys. Remember this post about making your own sex toys? A nice firm cucumber makes a great dildo and can be peeled and eaten afterward – how much more ecologically friendly can you get with your sex toys?!
10. Use hemp rope for your bondage play rather than nylon (which emits green house gas).
Have a very sexy Earth Day everyone!